Struggling to find the most effective hunting attire? This article aims to teach you a thing or two about the best hunting camo according to your requirements before you go out, take an aim, and shoot!
According to our extensive research and field testing, the best hunting camouflage is the Mossy Oak Breakup Country camo. This camo is designed to conceal the hunter in the majority of biomes – be it woodlands, grasslands, or deserts. It breaks up the silhouette of the hunter, giving them optimal concealment against the prying eyes of deers and other game.
- One of the best hunting camouflage shirt, stretchable, & lightweight.
- Suitable for hot and cold weather equally.
- Made in USA
- Multiple camo pattern types for tree stand and ground blind deer hunting.
- Multiple camo types incuding woodlands, realtree, mossy oak etc to camouflage in various terrains.
- Equally usable for warm and cold weather.(with layering)
- Perfectly fit cloth sizing.
- Lightweight, comfortable and easy to wear.
- Real tree designed hoodie to hunt deer camouflaged in cold weather.
- Comfortable to wear, hand warming pockets and camo hood.
- Soft fabric with sweatshirt like feel to be wear in mild cold and layering in extreme cold.
- Quiet to use and fits perfectly.
Best Camouflage Pattern for Hunting
Choosing the best camo for hunting can be a whole feat of its own. Hunters, and especially beginners, struggle to find camo that gets the job done but is also comfortable to wear. The most common problem faced by hunters is that they either have to compromise on comfort or camouflage because they cannot find both in the same attire.
We have shortlisted 10 camos that are the best, both in comfort and concealment.
- Mossy Oak Breakup Country Camo – Best All Around Camo for Hunting
- King’s Camo Desert Shadow Camo – Best Camo Pattern for Bow Hunting
- Mossy Oak Original Treestand Camo – Best Camo Pattern for Treestand Hunting
- Kryptek Highlander Camo – Best Breakup Camo Pattern
- North Mountain Gear Ghillie Suit Camo – Best 3D Camo Pattern
- Sitka Men’s Stratus Camo – Best Quiet Camo
- Realtree Edge – Best Camo for Deer Hunting
- AUSCAMOTEK Woodland Camo Poncho – Best Waterproof Camo
- TideWe Next Camo G2 – Best Big Game Hunting Camo
- Sitka Gear Duck Oven Camo – Best for Waterfowl Hunting
- Realtree Max 7 – Best Duck Hunting Camo
Mossy Oak Breakup Country Camo – Best All Around Camo for Hunting
- Camo Pattern Types: Many variants.
- Suitable Weather: Great for hunting in hot weather as well as for layering in cold.
- Brand Name: Mossy Oak
Mossy Oak Breakup Country Camo is chosen as the overall best camouflage pattern for hunting. The breakup pattern of the camo aims to disrupt the hunter’s silhouette, making them invisible to the game. Breakup Country camo by Mossy Oak works wonderfully well in a number of landscapes as it breaks up the figure of the one wearing it.
Made with 88% polyester and 12% spandex, Mossy Oak Breakup Country Camo has the perfect texture when it comes to the comfort of the hunter. The material is breathable and has a snug fit to it. The fabric of the camo is laced with Hydroplex Cooling Technology which maintains the body surface temperature. This makes Mossy Oak Breakup Country Camo a perfect fit in warmer temperatures.
The camo has a hyper realistic, large pattern that makes it a great choice for forests and woodlands. Due to its neutral pattern and tones, we have seen that Mossy Oak Breakup Country Camo can be used to hunt deer, turkey, and even waterfowl.
While Mossy Oak Breakup Country Camo is effective in the majority of environments, field testing has revealed that the pattern can get a little hazy once the 50 mile radius is crossed. But considering its efficiency in all other domains, it can be considered a fair and square tradeoff.
- Effective breakup pattern
- Disruptive & breathable fabric.
- Comfortable fit & hyperrealistic pattern
- Hydroplex Cooling Technology.
- Can be used in a multitude of environments.
- Fabric can be reflective if light hits it at certain angles.
- Can look dark from a distance.
King’s Camo Desert Shadow Camo – Best Camo Pattern for Bow Hunting
- Camo Pattern Types: Multiple variants.
- Suitable Weather: Perfect for warm as well as cold weather.
- Brand Name: King’s Camo Werables.
While the name suggests that this camo would be ideal just for deserts, it is a frontrunner for plainlands as well. King’s Desert Shadow Camo is a combination of light and dark browns that adjust meticulously with areas that do not have much cover to offer. It is known for its effective use of colors and tones, and this camo is no different.
King’s Desert Shadow Camo is manufactured with 60% cotton and 40% polyester, making it one of the most comfortable camos out there. Due to the fabric composition, it is convenient to wear in warmer months. The articles are tag-free to keep the hunter comfortable. This lightweight camo has a blended pattern that seamlessly tucks the hunter into the environment.
The ideal environment for King’s Camo Desert Shadow Camo would be close range hunting. This is what makes it a wonderful choice for bow hunting as it is usually done at a short distance. It would work perfectly for deer, elk, and other big game. Taking it upon ourselves to test the camo out, we could see what the hype was all about.
The aftercare of the camo might be different since the fabric contains cotton. But hey, as long as it performs well on the field, the aftercare won’t be much of an issue.
- For deserts as well as plainlands.
- Light and dark brown pattern.
- Blended pattern & Great for warmer months.
- Tag free & lightweight.
- 60% cotton, 40% polyester, comfortable and breathable.
- May not work well in long range hunting.
- Needs ample aftercare.
Mossy Oak Original Treestand Camo – Best Camo Pattern for Treestand Hunting
- Camo Pattern Types: Green variants only.
- Suitable Weather: Great for hunting in mild to severe cold.
- Brand Name: Mossy Oak
Mossy Oak is a great company with many different options to choose from when it comes to camo. Its Original Treestand Camo is the best treestand camo. This camo is a great affordable option in the market.
The camo is manufactured primarily in cotton (52% cotton, 48% polyester), making it breathable and lightweight. The camo has a casual pattern that reflects mimicry which is optimal for treestand hunting.
Mossy Oak Original Treestand Camo can be used for turkey hunting, deer hunting, as well as other game. While the camo is great even for everyday use, it works the most effectively in heavily forested areas. Due to its rich but faded green color, it can camouflage effectively in a bushy area. Its lack of prominent print allows it to mimic the tree perfectly. It also allows it to pair with other camouflage clothing as well.
The product does the job well and is one of the best camo patterns for treestand hunting. It works well in all weathers as well except wet weather conditions due to the fabric’s high cotton count. Switch out your camo on rainy days and you’re good to go.
- Affordable casual looking pattern.
- 52% cotton, 48% polyester – lightweight and breathable.
- Mimicry pattern.
- Great for everyday use as well as layering.
- May not work well in wet weather conditions.
Kryptek Highlander Camo – Best Breakup Camo Pattern
- Camo Pattern Types: Limited woody and green camo.
- Suitable Weather: All weather lightweight long sleeves.
- Brand Name: Kryptek
Kryptek is a fairly new company in the camo industry but has been great at it nonetheless. The Kryptek Highlander Camo is the best breakup camo pattern out there. Studies have revealed that the best pattern for an effective break up of the silhouette is the digital abstract print. That is exactly what this camo houses.
Kryptek Highlander Camo flaunts the Tek-Cloth technology that improves the durability of the fabric. It is manufactured in 100% cotton which makes the camo extremely breathable. Due to a lack of polyester, it is also not reflective at all which makes it great for stealth.
The ideal environment for the Kryptek Highlander Camo is woodlands. Due to its earthy warm tones, the camo does a great job at disintegrating the hunter’s figure in these areas.
While the camo can be considered great at breaking up figures, it might have a slight problem of retaining moisture. We have deduced that it should be preferred for the cooler months to prevent it from adding the extra weight of unwanted moisture.
- Breaks up the silhouette of the hunter.
- Tek Cloth for improved durability.
- Breathable, lightweight and non reflective.
- Perfect for woodlands due to its earthy tones.
- Digital abstract print.
- 100% cotton due to which may retain moisture .
- Not suitable for warmer months.
North Mountain Gear Ghillie Suit Camo – Best 3D Camo Pattern
- Camo Pattern Types: Green and brown ghillie suit.
- Suitable Weather: All weather, (a bit bulky).
- Brand Name: North Mountain.
It just doesn’t get any better than this. The North Mountain Gear Ghillie Suit Camo is a hyper realistic 3D camo that could fit into any forest, woodland, and grassland. A 3D camo suit essentially has synthetic elements added to it that make it match the environment, in turn hiding the wearer in perfect harmony. 3D camos are considered one of the best hunting camo patterns due to its effectiveness.
This Ghillie Suit Camo has full sized leaves to camouflage the hunter completely. It is easy to wear and gets a good grip on the body once on. The camo has a hoodie on top which is an added bonus as it takes away the need of acquiring a similarly patterned balaclava or face mask. North Mountain Gear Ghillie Suit Camo is also lightweight.
This 3D camo pattern works effectively in almost all environments that are more green than brown. The company actually has a brown toned ghillie suit as well, just like this one so you’re all covered if you’re looking for the perfect 3D suit for an earthy-toned environment. North Mountain Gear Ghillie Suit Camo is a great choice for spot and stalk hunting.
We tested out the North Mountain Gear Ghillie Suit Camo so you won’t have to and honestly, this worked like a charm. The camo lives up to the company’s claim of it being leafier than ever which increases its camouflage abilities. The only downside one may feel when wearing this camo is that movement can be a little cumbersome because the leaves are bound to get stuck in places.
- Hyper realistic 3D camo.
- Full sized leaves, perfect for green, leafy environments.
- Easy to wear, lightweight with good grip
- Hoodie attached to the upper.
- Provides great camouflage.
- May hinder movement at times.
Sitka Men’s Stratus Camo – Best Quiet Camo
- Camo Pattern Types: Greenish real tree.
- Suitable Weather: Fleece lined great for light cold and with layering for extreme cold and wind.
- Brand Name: Sitka
Sitka Men’s Stratus Camo is one of the quietest camos out there in the market. With its astounding windbreaker properties, the camo works wonderfully well as an outer insulated layer. It can be paired with other layers of camo to keep the hunter warm in colder months.
The camo is lined with micro-fleece from the inside to provide a layer of warmth and comfort to the hunter. It has a detachable hood that houses a mesh layer for the ears so that the hunter can use their auditory senses to stay aware. Sitka Men’s Stratus Camo is one of the few camos that has a port for a treestand harness. This camo has the Gore-Tex Infinum Technology that keeps gusts of wind at bay.
The YKK zippers on the jacket prevent things from falling out of the pockets. The ideal environment for the Sitka Men’s Stratus Camo would be ideal for the south of the country. It is a great pick for whitetail deer hunting because of the dull tones it has. The camo has a digital abstract print that blends perfectly in the field.
We used the Sitka Men’s Stratus Camo in colder temperatures to see how it worked against the wind. While it did its job as a windbreaker, it did not provide much warmth which may be an issue for some people. But as a top jacket, it is one of the best out there. The size may run a little small on some builds which is why it is suggested to order up.
- Quietest camo, windbreaker & lined with micro-fleece.
- Detachable hood.
- Mesh layer for ears for improved audition & digital abstract print.
- Safety Treestand Port.
- Ideal for whitetail deer hunting.
- Requires layering in colder months.
- Sizes runs a little small.
Guide Gear’s Realtree Edge – Best Camo for Deer Hunting
- Camo Pattern Types: Mossy oak and real tree.
- Suitable Weather: Rain, snow, cold wind and rain.
- Brand Name: Guide Gear
Realtree Edge is one of the best camo patterns for deer hunting because of its breakup pattern. The disruptive pattern of the camo keeps the hunter concealed, away from the prying eyes of game. Such camo is often considered ideal for deer hunting. Due to its poor vision, a deer depends dearly on its ability to spot silhouettes. Realtree Edge camo is just the product to deal with that.
Realtree Edge coveralls are a one-piece-covers-it-all product. Its thick insulation makes it ideal for cold and wet weather conditions. The product is waterproof as well so you won’t have to worry about going through marshy lands to make a clean shot. Its brushed tricot shell ensures quietness which is vital in the field.
Realtree uses 150 gm Thinsulate insulation for adequate warmth in late season which explains its weight of 5.3 pounds. The coveralls can be switched out for Realtree Edge camo jackets and pants, if that is the hunter’s preference as the company produces an entire line of products in this pattern. But coveralls would be our personal preference as the experience is hassle-free and swift.
The seams on the coveralls are not double stitched which may be a problem. It can be dealt with by providing good aftercare to the product. As long as it is the best deer hunting camo, these minor details can be considered fair trade offs.
- Breakup pattern.
- Can be switched out for other products in the line.
- 150 gm Thinsulate insulation.
- Ideal for cold weather & waterproof.
- Tricot shell for quietness.
- Seams not double stitched.
Auscamotek Woodland Camo Poncho – Best Waterproof Camo
- Camo Pattern Types: Wetlands, woodlands, mossy oak like and real tree green.
- Suitable Weather: Great for hunting in hot weather as well as for layering in cold.
- Brand Name: Auscamotek
AUSCAMOTEK Woodland Camo Poncho is the best waterproof camo out there. This military grade camo is ideal for spot and stalk style hunting. This 100% polyester poncho is as water resistant as it can get.
The Poncho can be paired with other layers of camo underneath to improve the camouflage abilities of your outfit. But that does not mean you can not wear the poncho on its own. This camo hangs knee-length which means it gives enough coverage to the hunter. The product can double up as an on-ground blind as well because of its woodland digital 3D pattern.
AUSCAMOTEK Woodland Camo Poncho is ideal to wear in wet weather conditions as it is the best waterproof camo out there. The head-gear of the poncho can be coupled with other hats and caps as well which is great. The poncho is manufactured with PU coated ripstop material which means it is highly durable, even in the thick of the season.
While AUSCAMOTEK Woodland Camo Poncho is a great option to go for in summers, a hunter would definitely require insulated layers underneath to keep them warm in the colder months.
- Completely waterproof wih military grade poncho.
- Can be paired with other layers of camo & great for summers.
- Made with 100% polyester
- Ideal for wet weather conditions.
- Manufactured with PU coated ripstop material for improved durability.
- Would require layers underneath to keep the hunter warm in winters.
TideWe Next Camo G2 – Best Big Game Hunting Camo
- Camo Pattern Types: Real tree and black.
- Suitable Weather: Cold weather.
- Brand Name: Tidewe
TideWe Next Camo G2 is the best big game hunting camo due to its effective pattern and tones. This jacket and pants pair reflects a tactical pattern paired with forest mimicry. It is perfect for early to mid season in forests and woodlands. This camo is used to go after big game as it disrupts the silhouette of the hunter effectively. It is ideal for long range as well as for short range hunting.
Next Camo G2 by TideWe has a safety harness port, something not many camos have. This makes it one of the best camo for treestand hunting as well. The fabric is breathable but heavily water resistant which is appreciable. This camo is manufactured with a strong magnetic pull to improve the jacket’s closure. It has a fleece lined interior making it comfortable.
TideWe Next Camo G2 set has 9 pockets, with 4 of them on the jacket and the other five in the pants. This enhances your storage capacity. The pants make use of oxford fabric which is known for its durability. TideWe has also strategically added drawstrings to the hood as well as the jacket hem to encourage a snug fit. The wristband is also adjustable. This ensures that the outfit is as quiet as possible.
The fit may be a problem for some hunters as some of my mates experienced. Both the articles of clothing may have a different fit on different people.
- Tactical pattern paired with forest mimicry.
- Perfect for treestand hunting.
- Ideal for early to mid season hunting.
- Warm and comfortable – fleece lined interior.
- Houses a safety harness port.
- Breathable but waterproof fabric.
- Perfect for treestand hunting.
- Magnetic pull for effective jacket closure.
- 9 strategically placed pockets for improved storage.
- Drawstrings in hood and jacket.
- Sizing may be an issue.
Sitka Gear Duck Oven Camo – Best for Waterfowl Hunting
- Camo Pattern Types: timber and marsh camos.
- Suitable Weather: Cold.
- Brand Name: Sitka
Sitka Gear Duck Oven Camo is, as the name suggests, great for duck and other waterfowl hunting. Manufactured in Montana, Sitka camo is one of the best camo producers for small as well as big game hunting. The vision of the company coupled with the scientific research that goes into understanding game, camos like Sitka Gear Duck Oven Camo are bound to be born.
Sitka Gear Duck Oven Camo is a windbreaker on the outside and an insulator on the inside – the best combo, if you ask me. The camo features PrimaLoft Silver insulation technology to keep the hunter warm in colder weather conditions. The lower half of the camo has a seamlessly tucked fitting to merge it effectively with camo pants.
Ideal for long range hunting, this camo is great for woody regions. The breakup pattern of the gear and its warm tones are ideal to be used in woodlands.
Our field testing revealed that it may not be the greatest choice for bow hunting since it makes a few noises here and there. But for long range hunting, it would be an ideal choice because of its effective camo pattern and windbreaking abilities. Sitka Gear Duck Oven Camo houses thumb holes at the end of the sleeves as well but one may order a size up as the sleeves may run a little short at times.
- Manufactured locally with PrimaLoft Silver insulation technology
- Windbreaker & insulated.
- Slim fit lower half to blend into camo pants or waders
- Ideal for woodland.
- Ideal for long range hunting.
- Not suitable for short range hunting because of the sounds it makes.
- Not true to size – ordering up would be ideal.
Realtree Max 7 – Best Duck Hunting Camo
- Camo Pattern Types: Cold.
- Suitable Weather: Multiple real tree and mossy oak variants.
- Brand Name: Hot Shot
Like Sitka Gear Duck Oven Camo, Realtree Max 7 is another camouflage gear that is ideal for, but not limited to, duck hunting. Based in Columbus, Georgia, Realtree has been a frontrunner when it comes to producing some of the best all around camo patterns.
Realtree Max 7 has a pure mimicry pattern that ‘mimics’ the backdrop of the hunter to conceal them. The jacket is manufactured with 100% polyester and a brushed micro tricot shell which makes it completely waterproof. This lightweight jacket is lined with dual blend fleece to ensure the hunter’s comfort. The outer shell of the jacket makes it abrasion resistant which improves the durability of the product.
Realtree Max 7 is ideal for long range as well as short range hunting as the jacket is uber quiet and does not make sounds even when the hunter moves. Like other Realtree jackets, the Max 7 camo also has a detachable hood. The camo has a loose fit which makes it true to its size.
Since Realtree produces jackets, long sleeves, and bibs in this pattern, it is ideal to create a full camo outfit with. The waterproof ability of the product makes it one of the top choices for waterfowl hunters, and even deer and other game hunters. In our experience, the only downside to this camo was the lack of pockets.
- Mimicry pattern & lightweight jacket
- Produced in 100% polyester which makes it waterproof.
- Can be paired with long sleeves shirt and bibs to create a camo set
- Dual blend fleece interior with detachable hood.
- Loose fit, true to size with brushed micro tricot shell which is abrasion resistant.
- Lack of pockets for storage of accessories.
Which Camo is the Best for You?
While the aforementioned camo list may have pulled you in the right direction to some extent, you still have a ways to go before you decide which camo pattern is the best for you. For this purpose, you need to narrow down two deciding factors that would ultimately decide the best camo for you.
Region of Use
Biomes vary from region to region. It is not possible to use the same camo all over the country. This is the very reason why so many variations and styles exist. If you’re not matching your backdrop, chances are you’re not going to be stalking your game for long because they will spot you, leaving you empty handed.
Camo changes from area to area. Majorly the country is divided into 4 parts; north, south, east, and west. With an area so big, a variety of environments are bound to exist.
In this region, a pairing of light browns and dark browns are worn to blend the hunter with the trees. It makes use of the blending design to ensure the concealment of the hunter when they go after their game.
Due to the dry and rocky nature of the land, a mixture of brown shades and earthy tones are used to hide the hunter in such a background. Mossy Oak Breakup Country is a great pick for such areas as it blends well with grass and rocks.
The South of the United States is layered with a thick blanket of vegetation. For this reason, a bright colored camo should be your go to.
Since the east region is home to many different biomes, a neutral camo would be a great fit. ASAT camo (All Seasons – All Terrain camo) would be a good choice for this purpose.
Intention of Use
By intention of use, we are referring to the game you intend on going after. While this may catch you by surprise, different camos are used for different animals that are being hunted. Through extensive scientific research, it was revealed that all animals see differently and can spot any external threats based on different factors.
Deers have poor vision which limits the colors they see. What they are good at, though, is spotting the hunters figure. The best camo pattern for deer hunting would be the breakup pattern as it disrupts the silhouette of the hunter.
Ducks can see colors very vividly which means that the focus of the hunter should be more on the color of the camo rather than the pattern. Colors matching the hunting grounds should always be chosen to help conceal the hunter better. Camos that blend with the background go great in such scenarios.
Turkeys are great at spotting colors and patterns due to their sharp eyesight. A hunter must be covered from top to bottom in the same pattern to stay concealed better. Hunters must wear a balaclava as well as gloves to prevent any skin from showing.
Things to Remember When Buying Camo
Here’s a few pointers you should keep in mind when choosing camo for yourself.
- The camo you’re wearing is more for the game and less for you. Camo prints and patterns can be unimpressive and bland at times. But the purpose of it is to keep you hidden from your game, not to reflect your fashion sense. Choosing camo based on your likes and taste could impact your success rate in the field.
- You don’t necessarily have to buy new camo for every season. But you may have to switch it if your love for hunting makes you cross state borders. Matching your camo to the region is absolutely necessary and could decide your performance in the playing field.
- Some camo may seem eye-candy but could be seriously uncomfortable to wear. Always try and test the article of clothing before making the purchase. Wearing uncomfortable clothing could dangerously affect your chances of making a sharp, clean kill.
- It’s always a good idea to match all your articles of clothing. It creates a streamlined effect and helps conceal you better. When camo shopping, opt to buy a similar face mask and boots as the rest of the outfit to maintain uniformity.
Overall, choosing the best hunting camo can be a different experience from person to person. We tried to guide you to the best of our abilities about the best hunting camos available in the market and the circumstances that would suit them. Do take our suggestions but due diligence is expected on your part to see which camo would work the best fit for you.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)
How much of an impact does camo really make?
It all comes down to the success rate when comparing the results of camo users with non users. Camo is not a necessity when it comes to hunting but it sure does improve one’s chances of getting closer to their game and downing them in one, clean shot. Those who don’t opt for camo may find it difficult to stalk their game and stay concealed for longer periods of time.
What happens if we mix camo patterns?
Nothing drastic, but it could affect your performance in the field. It is recommended to always pair the same pattern of camo to maintain consistency from top to bottom. This allows the hunter to hide better. While slight differences in pattern and style might not have a major impact, two drastically different patterns could clash and do the exact opposite of camouflaging the hunter.
Is it compulsory to wear an orange jacket when hunting in some states? Would it deter the camo from doing its job?
No. It might even improve your chances if you’re deer hunting. Deers tend to be insensitive to orange and red tones which means they might not even be able to see your orange blazer.
Even for ducks and turkeys, you are good to go because they would not be able to figure out the silhouette of a human. So for the majority of the part, your orange jacket will not affect your hunting experience.
What are black and white camo for?
Camo tones, colors, and patterns represent the background they are going to be used in. Black camo is often used in the night and in areas where there is a lack of light. On the contrary, white camo is to be used in the snow and other light toned landscapes.
Leave a Reply